Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Artist Highlight - Susie Hooban



So this summer I started a new thing.  One of my instructors at university (he's actually a big hero of mine) Will Terry, talks a lot about how important it is to share our knowledge and our understanding of art and the industry with others.  He says that holding on to information that might be helpful to the development of others' careers because we're afraid they might become too competitive and push us out of business is "scarcity thinking".  And I agree with him.  I admire a lot of artists.  And I love talking about the artists I admire.  If a client compares my art to another artist's and decides that artist is more suited for a commission of original artwork than I am, I am glad they found someone they will be happy with to realize their vision.  I am inspired daily by the art, work ethic and creativity of others, so I want to pass along that inspiration to all of you!

This month, the artist I'm highlighting is Susie Hooban.  You can find her work at Lazy Dog Art (which I think is a delightful name.)  She is located in Arlington, Virginia and specializes in acrylic on canvas.  I actually don't know much about Susie, I couldn't find a bio online.  But based on our email conversation, I know she's a gracious person.  She's a great artist and she loves animals!  If you visit her site's blog, you can read all about her dogs, which inspired Lazy Dog Art.  To see prices and contact Susie about commissions, click here.  Now, onto the art!

**Note: All of the following paintings are the property of Susie Hooban.  I didn't paint them and do not take credit.  We're here to celebrate Susie!

Here is a fan (Susie's Mom?) posing with Lazy Dog Art.  I love the size
and poster-graphic quality of the painting.
*
We'll start with one of my favorite paintings.  I love how serene this piece is.
The mild complimentary palette contributes to the restful feel I think.  Such expressive eyes!
**
I love how loosely she works.  The painterly quality suits her subject matter.

 Love the ears on this one!  And I love that they leave the canvas.
*
*

*
*
Check out the fun cropping/composition on these:




 The wacky perspective here is a WIN.
*
*
And here are my other favorites of Susie's:
I LOVE the eyes in this piece.  What beautiful details!
*

This piece looks deceptively simple.  All white or all black animals are difficult.  Great job, Susie!
*

The smile she captures here is perfect.  You have dogs.  You know the one.
*
The poster graphic quality of this painting is amazing.  The white outline, the value grouping, 
the painterly background.  What a fantastic combination!
*
 And here's my favorite painting of Susie's:
You know I love me some vivid colors and a complimentary palette.  Visit Susie Hooban at her website Lazy Dog Art.  You can also find her on Facebook, where she updates regularly.


No comments:

Post a Comment